Sunday 19 December 2010

There have been some pretty interesting high points of my career as a photographer, but I reached the peak recently when I undertook my first Royal Variety Performance as the Official Photographer for EABF the charity that arrange the spectacular event. The first two days involved watching the artists rehearse and getting familiar with the logistics of the event. Behind closed doors, away from the paparazzi and fans the stars themselves were very relaxed and mingled with the BBC staff and EABF team quite happily. At one point I was chatting with Susan Boyle about her trek down from Scotland in the snow and on another occasion was talking to Robbie Williams about Stoke on Trent, somewhere I lived too when I was younger. Over the course of those days I got to see how the show was put together, marvelled at the lighting rigs and choreography, and worked out my own positions for the big night. I left Leatherhead at 6am on the morning of the show, parked my car at Marble Arch and after stopping en route for a McDonalds breakfast on Oxford street arrived at the Palladium in time for the royal arrival rehearsal and the start of the dress rehearsals.
The buzz around the Palladium was awesome, famous faces everywhere, lots of excited children who were performing either with the Wizard of Oz, Spelbound or Susan Boyle's Choir, and nerves aplenty, my own included!
Finally at around 7.15pm the Royal Car arrived and HRH The Prince of Wales, and HRH The Duchess of Cornwall appeared, slightly shaken after their ordeal en route with student protesters but ready to get on with greeting the dignitries and some of the performers in the foyer. Kylie, Take That and N-Dubz were also there to greet them and so the show began. A great performance it was too - comedians, singers, and acrobats in the form of Britain's Got Talent winners, Spelbound, all wowed the audience and everything went smoothly and on time. Take That rounded everything off with two of their new tracks and the first live performance as the newly reformed five peice, Robbie going down a treat with the audience and being the usual showman and natural performer. Sadly the Royal Couple were hurriedly ushered out of the Palladium to avoid any further incidents outside and so there was no meeting the perfomers but I got the opportunity to meet some of them myself and grab a few relaxed shots.
The night was not over there as next was the after show party to be held on Park Lane - it was chaos outside and no chance of a taxi so I hired a rickshaw and clutching my precious payload and about eight grands worth of camera gear I was cycled through the riot torn west end by a polish youth who for an extra fiver, put his foot down! The party went well and wound up around two thirty. I took around four thousand images over the course of the three days, I was exhausted but what a great experience. Hopefully they will have me back next year. A big extra 'Well done ' to Spelbound - some of whom are from Surrey, who put on a blinder of a show and were thoroughly nice kids to boot!

No comments:

Post a Comment