Monday 23 March 2009

Monday morning again - the weeks seem to be flying past at the moment - at least spring seems to be on its way. I went for a walk along the river Mole in Norbury Park yesterday and noticed the buds about to spring. Life is so much better when the sun is out too.

Sad to hear about Jade Goody yesterday - it is nice that she has seemed to have been accepted finally by people for who she was - a lot of people did not like her as she was brash and not that well educated but in fact she was very shrewd and straight forward and I believe very genuine. Now people have seen that she was actually very courageous and that the reasons for doing things the way she did were actually largely very selfless - she has raised the awareness of cervical cancer by a huge amount and has caused an increase of smear tests of over 20% which is a hell of an achievement. Lets hope that people do not forget and that lives continue to be saved because of her courage.

I myself had a busy time last week, what started off as a quiet one turned into the opposite and I ended up working quite late most nights to keep up with the editing. I did some work for Which? magazine in Banstead and a couple of local conservative councillors came in for their PR shots, thanks mainly I think to my friends David & Sylvia who have been acting as my Public relations officers lately!! On Friday I was up early (not like me) for the Queen Elizabeth Foundation Corporate Golf day at Tyrrells wood - lucky them, the weather was fantastic and it seemed to be a very successful event, I photographed all of the teams as they teed off - Roger Grunsell from Swan Lettings was there with two teammates in dark shades - he looked like he was flanked by minders in his pic. Well done Dave and team for putting on such a good event and I hope you raised plenty of wonga.

Sadly we have another casualty in Leatherhead shop wise as 'Inside' closed on saturday - they are re locating in Walton on Thames leaving an empty gap at the front of the Swan Centre. Not good! lets hope it is filled soon. I noticed that finally the old Dawson Strange studio in Cobham is going to have tenants again - this time as a restaurant - it will be a strange experience (pun intended) eating in what was my old place of employment. Also I believe Pizza Express are moving back into Cobham soon. However if you really want to eat out the place to be is the Vecchia Trattoria or the Tatty Vicc as we locals like to call it here in Leatherhead - they are experimenting with dancing on odd nights now as well as having a quiz night on a thursday - the food is great and remember you will be supporting a local independent business rather than a big chain so go and see Chris and Susan in there and keep trade local!!

Finally my music tip for the week is Pete Doherty's new album - Grace/Wastelands, which is surprisingly good, not the grungy haphazard stuff you would expect from him but melodic and well written tunes that actually show that he has some talent and it is not all about drugs and Kate Moss, best track is 'Last of the English Roses' - my good friend Tony, will be off to Spotify now to check that one out!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Andy for Friday. Looking at you at Tyrrells Wood I knew it had been a struggle to get up so early. Thanks for all the attention you gave us and I know the players were pleased with what they saw. Lets hope you sell a few more pics. As for QEF the recession bites everywhere but Comic Relief. Have a good week.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete